Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A day in the life..

It is about 1pm in Spain and I have my free period for the day. The only day I do not have a free period is on Thursdays. On a typical school day, I teach 4 of the 5 class hours and have a 30 minute break with the teachers in the middle of the day, while the kids have recess. I teach anywhere from 3 years old to about 13-14 years old, with the exception of 1 16 year old. I work with 4 different English teachers in 3 different schools. Each teacher brings a different aspect of growth to my experience. I think the biggest struggle for me is I am naturally a fast speaker and when I feel like I am speaking slowly they say I am speaking too fast. Also, the teachers say I am too quiet, I am pretty sure I even whisper loud, but Spanish people are definately louder than I am.
Now that I have hit the midday the teachers aren´t letting my lack of Spanish speaking ability slide anymore and I have to atleast try and speak to them in Spanish because they have no idea what I am talking about unless the English teachers translate.
However, I am not really sure why when I feel like trying to speak in Spanish I don´t seem to have much problem, with words I know or have learned here, however when someone askes me to Speak in Spanish I seem to forget every word I have ever learned in Spanish and I stumble over every sentence. But I am learning and trying and I am definately getting better at Speaking and even better at understanding Spanish.

1 comment: